Invention Submission Corporation - ISC
Honest George
2004-12-03 18:25:21 UTC
Subject: Invention Submission Corporation - ISC

Everything you wanted to know about them, see:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3856060699
Rodney
2004-12-04 13:38:40 UTC
Post by Honest George
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3856060699
Good info on ISC, but ,,,,,,,,

I see a worthless service

Just getting a patent, any kind of patent is worthless,, you need a
patent that has "real" value, a design patent has none, from a licensing
stand point, little for the venture, most utility patents are so narrow
anyone can work around them, so they too are worthless. Prior art in
most cases stops wanna be inventors from getting something that has
value, the skill of the patent writer is another thing that that can and
does kill the value.

How many of the patent writer's patents have been licensed, is that
number less than 5%

License first, then get a patent, and let the licensee pay for it, and
get the best patent money can buy
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com
PBallou
2004-12-05 03:00:40 UTC
Yeah but who would buy from this guy?

He allegedly conceived ISC's business model in how to get into inventor's
pocketbooks......and he's bragging about it!!!

He's not even an attorney or agent, would anyone really want him involved in
their patent application in any way? As I see it, he's calling himself an
Invention Agent which I find confusingly similar to a patent agent - and he's
offering to write applications on the cheap.

With his former admission of allegedly creating ISC's marketing model -
leaving so many inventors broke and feeling cheated, would you hire him?

Comon' now............
Killer Smurfs
Comon' now............
Honest George
2004-12-06 05:17:33 UTC
Post by Killer Smurfs
Really is Inventor Submission Corporation.
Read it for yourself... see below!

Before you pay $8000 to ISC or other invention corporation, you should ask
yourself the following:

Why are their success rates 1%?

Who do they really submit to?

Do I need research & brochures?

Has the FTC ever fined them? See For Yourself

As the top Licensing Agent for Invention Submission Corporation, I know
their operation well. In fact, I pioneered several of the licensing
techniques that their marketing & licensing arm 'Intromark, Inc.' still
employs. The individuals at Intromark are great people. The problem with
ISC, however, is that they bring in over a hundred new inventions each month
and only have a handful of licensing personnel to strike deals for the
inventors. The company's focus is on selling the inventors their services
through national television advertising. The inquiries come into their
sales offices around the country, where the ISC sales reps try to sign them
up, at least with their 'B.I.P.' (Basic Information Packet) at first. The
salesmen are paid around 40% of what is paid down! They hardly make anything
if they use their in-house finance company 'Universal Finance Corporation',
which is pretty much set up for inventors who can't get financed anywhere
else - but will pay what they can into the service until they figure out
nothing is going on and stop. The sales reps don't know anything about
licensing or how to get a deal, they just know how to sell the service. We
always joked about how clueless they were.

Once the inventor is signed up, then all of the work is done from
Pittsburgh, PA. The company has over 150 employees at any given time to
handle the workload, but only a handful in the Licensing Department - you
figure it out. They have a Research Department that will print you up a
bunch of census and market research garbage. They sub-out the patent work
to some lowball outfit in South Dakota, who I believe has never turned down
an application due to matching art. They have a Creative Department filled
with teenagers using Photoshop or Corel Draw to layout your brochure - they
are paid $10 a brochure. The brochures are then printed next door by the
owner's printing business. There is a Publicity Department, which sends out
about 100-150 press releases per invention on average. Then the invention
is submitted to their 'ISC Databank' of companies in numerous categories
that have signed confidentiality agreements to review new product ideas from
ISC. It sounds good in theory, but reality is the Databank is loaded with
very small companies and even individuals, both of which are incapable of
licensing and generating significant sales required to pay the inventor a
decent royalty on units sold. Do you really think that a major
corporation's legal department is going to let their New Product Manager of
Buyers sign ISC's docs? There is "INPEX', the invention tradeshow that ISC
runs, which in a nutshell is another way to extract money from inventors -
selling them booth space. No serious buyers from major entities visit this
show - they think it's a joke - and it is. They also have a Compliance
Department, which puts out lawsuit fires for them regularly. And finally, a
customer service department - their biggest department - full of people they
pull in off the street to keep the army of unhappy inventors at bay.
Basically, if one of the guys at Intromark (the Licensing Department) don't
personally try to work the invention - chances are almost 100% that the
inventor will not get a license agreement.

It's a shame. Inventors truly deserve a better effort for their hard earned
money and sweat-equity involved. My service is designed to achieve the best
results for you with minimal financial outlay by you. If you have an idea
that you want to patent and financially gain from, or if you already have an
issued patent and want to do the same, I possess the knowledge and skill in
this field that can only come from 15 years experience in the invention/new
product business. By eliminating the unnecessary services offered by
invention companies, combined with deeply discounted patent preparation and
filing, among other secrets and shortcuts, I can offer the best assistance
in the country to the individual inventor.

---------------snip--------------
snip--------------snip--------------snip--------------------
Honest George
2004-12-29 20:45:34 UTC
Inventors Beware!

If some promotion firm says it'll make you millions, odds are it won't

BY EDWARD BARNES

So you have built the better mousetrap--the world's best mousetrap, you
think. But the world hasn't seemed to have got the message and isn't exactly
beating a path to your door. What to do?

The answer comes often late at night in the middle of a cable-TV show or
sometimes on the back of a magazine. For a few hundred dollars, you are
told, an invention-promotion company will evaluate your invention, research
the patent to see whether anyone else had the idea first, and then contact
manufacturers on your behalf. With one good idea, the ads say, you could be
sitting on millions.

As many as 25,000 would-be inventors each year take the bait, and, quicker
than you can say "rags to riches," find themselves caught in a very
different kind of mousetrap. Consumer advocates, government regulators and
industry experts say that virtually everyone who contacts these firms with
dreams of riches will in fact end up poorer. The vast majority of these
invention-promotion companies, the experts charge, are nothing but massive
scams aimed at often naive and sometimes desperate backyard tinkerers, many
of whom have more hope than business acumen. Even the companies that operate
within the law rarely provide inventors with the tools necessary to market
their inventions.

Shannon Mahaffey's experience is a case in point. He was living in
Sweetwater, on the flat Texas plains that spawn tornadoes during the spring
storm season. Often he would stay up nights watching the horizon as twisters
cut deadly swaths nearby. Twice, he says, they touched down on his property,
tearing up fences and farm equipment, though luckily missing his house. One
night, while waiting up in a storm-induced blackout, he wondered whether
there was a better way to warn people that a twister was forming: "I knew
that the one thing that always worked in the disasters was the phone lines,
because they are buried. So I invented a system that would provide storm
warnings to rural areas where there are no sirens through the phone lines.
It was like a 911 system."

Here's the Deal...
When the lights came back on, so did Mahaffey's television. Lo and behold,
right there on the screen was an ad with a toll-free number for Invention
Submission Corp., the nation's largest patent broker and promotion company.
He picked up the phone and dialed.

Today, after four years, Mahaffey, 34, is more than $13,000 poorer, and his
invention is still a dream. The father of two girls is disillusioned and
bitter.

An enthusiastic ISC salesman told him the idea was brilliant--just what
every inventor wants to hear--and pressured him to sign up before someone
else came up with the same concept. Mahaffey quickly ponied up $625,
borrowed from family and friends, for the patent search. "They told me
everything out there was based on radio transmissions," he recalls. "I had
an original idea, and I had to hurry to protect it. My father had invented
the pop-top soda can but couldn't afford to follow through. He still regrets
it. I didn't want that to happen to me." When ISC told him his idea would be
expensive to bring to market, he winced. Like his father, he didn't have the
money. It wouldn't be a problem, the salesman told him. A subsidiary of ISC
would lend him the money until the royalties began to roll in. But those
royalties never came.

Within six months of borrowing the money, Mahaffey began to feel frustrated.
His first inkling that ISC's promised patent search wasn't as thorough as it
told him was a simple Internet search, which turned up several similar
devices that were already on the market. As for the advertised promotion
efforts, those consisted of "a few brochures and a couple of lines of
advertising on the Web," Mahaffey says, calling the promise "a lot of
baloney." With no money coming in from the invention, the loan payments to
the ISC subsidiary became a burden. "We really struggled for a while, but I
was afraid to back out," he says. Last February he finally paid off the
loan.

So Many Ideas, So Little Success
"It's a tough industry," Melinda Miller, ISC's publicity manager, explains.
"It is a disappointment, but it is the nature of the industry. Mahaffey's
case was not unusual. Consumers have to do their homework." She says that of
the 5,324 clients the company represented from 1997 to 1999, only 11 had
made more money than they invested. Consumer advocates say even that number
is inflated. While no one questions the risks inherent in developing a new
invention, experts say the odds shouldn't be that low. In 1996 federal
authorities forced ISC, which has more than 70 offices worldwide, to return
$1.2 million to clients for allegedly making false claims to them. The firm
is also facing a class action by former clients, charging the company
regularly breached the contracts it signed and failed to live up to its
promises.

ISC's treatment of Mahaffey wasn't illegal. However, experts say it is among
the nicer things that happen to naive inventors who rely on any one of the
dozen or so major players in the industry. Richard Apley, director of the
Independent Inventor Programs for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, says
flatly that the majority of companies now advertising these inventor
services, which generate about $200 million a year, are scams. "They offer a
service of sorts but don't really do what they say they will do," says
Apley. Nearly every one of their patent searches comes back with favorable
results, often raising the hopes of inventors by estimating a huge market
potential. After that hook is set, the rest is easy: clients are then
quickly lured into paying huge amounts (the average inventor loses $20,000)
for services that are either useless or available elsewhere for far less
money. The companies' "marketing" consists mainly of blind-mail brochures to
manufacturers that never look at them. Most of the patents obtained by these
companies, he argues, are also worthless. And most important, virtually no
invention backed by these firms ever gets to the market.

"I learned one thing," says Mahaffey, who only too late began to do some
research on the industry. "These companies don't do what they promise. They
just make sure they get the money and you don't." Or, as Todd Dickinson,
director of the Patent and Trademark Office, says, "Their best invention is
themselves." END
BretCahill
2004-12-31 12:58:23 UTC
The only way you can be sure they are on your
side is if they do everything on their nickel like
the slip and fall lawyers' contingency fees.

The group of retired engineers in Boston that
focuses on consumer items is an example.

In fact, I might toss them the cordless speed
wrench idea if someone will post their name.
Post by Honest George
[...]
If someone thinks he is smart and independent
thinking enough to come up with new ideas,
why in the world would he suddenly consider
himself so dumb/lazy that he needs to be
dependent on others when it comes to
technical research, patent searches, design
and fabrication of prototypes, marketing
research and claim writing?

The only plausible answer is these people were
daydreaming from day one.

Once I put a scam [not related to inventing]
under Chapt. 7 and in the process a Florida
cop rationalized that the scamees "had larceny
in their hearts."

Bret Cahill

"The strongest man in the world is he who
stands alone."

-- Ibsen